Last Reviewed: February 2, 2022
California Employee Privacy Notice
Mercedes-Benz Research and Development North America, Inc., including its affiliates (“MBRDNA,” “we,” “us,” or “our”) provides this California Employee Privacy Notice (“Notice”) to notify you of our privacy practices as required by the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”).
This Notice applies only to individuals residing in the State of California who are considered “Consumers” (as defined in the CCPA) – namely, job applicants, employees, and contractors of MBRDNA – from whom we collect “Personal Information” (as defined in the CCPA). When we refer to Consumers, we mean you to the extent you are a California employee, employee applicant, or contractor of MBRDNA.
Information We Collect
We may collect Personal Information from you in a variety of different situations, including, but not limited to on our website, your mobile device, through email, in physical locations, through the mail, and/or over the telephone. MBRDNA collects the following categories of Personal Information from Consumers:
|Category||Examples of Personal Information Collected|
|A. Identifiers.||A real name, alias, postal address, telephone number, mobile device ID, Internet Protocol address, email address, Social Security number, driver’s license number, passport number.|
|B. Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e)).||A name, signature, Social Security number, address, telephone number, passport number, driver’s license or state identification card number, insurance policy number, education, employment, employment history, bank account number, medical information, or health insurance information.|
|C. Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law.||Age, race, citizenship, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, sex, veteran or military status, genetic information.|
|D. Commercial information.||Records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.|
|E. Biometric information.||Genetic, physiological, behavioral, and biological characteristics, or activity patterns used to extract a template or other identifier or identifying information, such as, fingerprints, faceprints, and voiceprints, iris or retina scans, keystroke, gait, or other physical patterns, and sleep, health, or exercise data.|
|F. Internet or other similar network activity.||Browsing history, search history, information on a consumer’s interaction with a website, application, or advertisement.|
|G. Geolocation data.||Physical location or movements.|
|H. Sensory data.||Electronic, audio, and visual information.|
|I. Professional or employment-related information.||Current or past job history or performance evaluations, employee background check.|
|J. Education information, as defined by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.||Education records directly related to a student maintained by an educational institution or party acting on its behalf, such as grades, transcripts, class lists, student schedules, student identification codes, student financial information, or student disciplinary records.|
|K. Inferences drawn from other personal information.||Profile reflecting a person’s preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.|
Personal information does not include:
- Deidentified or aggregate consumer information.
- Publicly available information from government records.
MBRDNA obtains the categories of Personal Information listed above from the following categories of sources:
- Directly from you. For example, from forms you complete or services we provide you.
- Indirectly from you. For example, from observing your actions on our website or from information your computer or mobile device transmits when interacting with our website or mobile applications.
- Third parties, including recruiters who submit your information to us for an employment position that may interest you and consumer reporting agencies for employment background checks.
Purposes for Collecting Personal Information
MBRDNA may use the Personal Information identified above for one or more of the following purposes:
- To Meet the Purpose For Which You Provided the Information. For example, if you share your name and contact information to apply for a job, we will use that Personal Information in connection with your employment or employment application.
- To Contact You, including to inform you about benefits or information relating to your employment or employment application.
- To Provide Human Resources Management Services, including but not limited to hiring, conducting background checks, onboarding new employees, managing and maintaining employer-employee relations, managing MBRDNA relations with independent contractors, providing employee training and development, undertaking internal research, termination, separation, payroll, reimbursement, and other functions related to employment or potential employment with MBRDNA.
- To Administer Benefits, including to maintain group health insurance benefits, 401(k) and retirement plans, leaves of absence, and other MBRDNA benefits, as applicable.
- To Maintain Your Information, including to secure personnel files, emergency contact information, customize, and secure your information or account with us.
- To Support and Develop MBRDNA’s Website, including services relating to your employment or employment application.
- To Process Requests, including to process transactions and prevent transactional fraud.
- To Provide Support, including to respond to your inquiries, to investigate and address your concerns, and monitor and improve our responses.
- To Maintain the Security of Our Systems, including the app or website, services, databases and other technology assets, data, and business.
- To Ensure a Safe Working Environment, including to protect the rights, property, or safety of MBRDNA, its personnel, guests, or others.
- For Research, Analysis, and Business Development, including to develop and improve our business processes, website, products and services.
- To Comply with Applicable Law or Regulations, such as to respond to law enforcement requests, or to comply with laws related to records retention and employer reporting obligations.
- To Evaluate or Conduct a Merger, including divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all MBRDNA’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which Personal Information held by MBRDNA is among the assets transferred.
Changes to Our California Employee Privacy Notice
MBRDNA reserves the right to amend this Notice at our discretion and at any time.
If you have any questions about this Notice, please contact us at:
Attn: Data Protection
309 North Pastoria Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA USA 94085
Please refer to “California Employee Privacy Notice” in your message.